Monday, August 6, 2012

DIY Magnet Board

I've been wanting to do this fun and easy craft all summer, but I never got around to buying cheap cooking sheets, and I just decided to forgo bringing one more DIY project with me to college. But lo-and-behold, at my cousin's yard sale, I snagged some tin lids that were dumpster-bound (for free at the end of the day!) to make my lovely magnet boards. It's pretty self-explanatory, but I'll walk you through my process.

First, for supplies, you'll need

  • Any amount of tin lids, cookie sheets, or anything else you find that a magnet will stick to
  • Fabric (or you could always paint them, and then skip the next couple supplies)
  • Spray glue and/or a hot glue gun
  • Scissors
  • Iron
  • String or ribbon
  • Buttons & magnets to make DIY magnets out of buttons

 Because 3 is a magic number - anything in sets of 3 seems to work lovely - I took 3 lids of varying sizes (and themes...)

I then chose 3 different patterns of fabric - one bold graphic and two solid colors.


I cut the fabric in circles a little bigger than the lid (or tray, in the case of the above picture). In the picture above, you see the back side of the magnet board. I spray glued the fabric down on the front and then cut little strips on the edges so that it would fold smoothly over the edges of the tray. I ran out of spray glue by the time I got to this step, so I just substituted the ever-faithful hot glue gun.




And here is the finished product, complete with homemade button magnets (simply get magnet strips with one sticky side and stick 'em on old buttons). I decided to make art out of my magnet boards by attaching a string to the back of them so they hang like a sculpture. Absolutely adorbs. You'll be seeing this in my feature on my dorm room in a month or so :)

No comments:

Post a Comment